A funny thing happens when you fall off the blog-o-sphere, so I thought I'd give a quick update.
On Tuesday, I had a big time surgery to fix a Giant Paraesophageal Hernia. Impressed? Well, you should be. :-) A giant paraesophageal hernia is where at least 1/3 of your stomach has herniated up next to your esophagus through the diaphragm and ends up in your lungs. It looks kinda like this:
It is a pretty abnormal condition. I've been living with it for several years but just recently was told it was time to get it repaired. Surgery was apparently a success but I am now trying to mend. Imagine this: No lifting anything more than 10 pounds for at least 8 weeks (Oliver weighs about 25 pounds), for the first two weeks, it is a liquid diet, then if x-rays show everything is a-okay I can move on to a "soft foods" diet which consists of soups and pureed foods (if you think this sounds like baby food, you would be right!) for another 6 weeks. And the pain! I am trying not to whine too much as that would just make the pain worse. Here's been my companions the past couple of days:
Did you see Children's Ibuprofen? Yes, well, they don't make liquid Ibuprofen any other way.
The hardest part has been not being able to snuggle with Oliver but I know that it is temporary. Today for example, he spent the day at Papa's and Grandma Jana's house and got to play in a little wading pool! So Oliver is still getting all that attention that he craves.
Thank you to modern medicine and Dr. Alex Farivar for making me feel better. Well, in a few weeks. :-)


i am so proud of you that i'm near tears. this could have been a big whiny post, but it's not. so very very proud to be your mom. xx
ReplyDeleteWow, you are a trooper! Hang in there and let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for you...like come over and play with Oliver? :) ~ Anna
ReplyDelete